Steak, the amazing, delicious, marbled affair is an indulgent and scrumptious dinner. It’s great, once in a while, or in my case, after I forgot to eat for the entire day 😅 I got a good 8 Oz Ribeye for my steak!
Excitement takes over,
It looks a bit messy,
But as long as your taste buds rejoice –
It’s a steak, medium rare well done. 🙃
- 8 Oz Steak of Choice
- 4 Cloves of Garlic, smashed
- 2 springs of Marjoram (Herb)
- 2 springs of French Tarragon (Herb)
- 6 mL of neutral flavor oil
- 2 knobs of butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Feel free to replace the herbs with whatever you have on hand, like Thyme or Oregano. I just like the taste of these two.
- 2 leaves of Lettuce (Crisp it up by roasting it in the oven at 450C for 5 minutes)
- 3 Cherry Tomatoes (Halved, and oven Roasted for 15 minutes at 450C)
- 2 Watercress leaves
- Kale with pureed Daikon
- Lemon grilled Asparagus and Oven grilled tomatoes
Use a Cast Iron Pan, if possible, since it can hold in a high heat, which we need for a good sear.
- Get the pan of the stove and start at high. Pour the oil in now
- Season both sides of your steak with salt and pepper
- Wait till the oil starts smoking a bit, and then add in your steak
- Sear on all sides to lock in the flavor (Maillard Reaction brings out the umami). This should take about 1-2 minutes of a hot pan. Feel free to reduce the heat on your pan, if it gets too smoky.
- Now, add in smashed garlic, the herbs, and butter
- Slightly tilt your pan, and then baste the butter seeped with the spices and garlic on top of sides.
- Check for doneness (Gordon Ramsay Style) – if the steak feels like
- The center of your palm, it’s rare
- The thenar or the flesh close to your thumb, it’s medium
- The wrist of your hand, it’s well done
- When the steak reaches the doneness that you want, transfer it to a plate and let it rest for at least 5-10 minutes
- Cut the steak as you like, and pour your garlic-herb-brown butter sauce over it. Serve it with oven-roasted tomatoes, Watercress, and some crisped lettuce